[seqfan] Re: Describing extended b-files

Giovanni Resta g.resta at iit.cnr.it
Mon Jun 20 20:19:17 CEST 2016

On 06/20/2016 06:21 PM, Chris Thompson wrote:

> If the latter form really is to be preferred, I think it would be helpful
> for https://oeis.org/SubmitB.html to say so.

In the page https://oeis.org/SubmitB.html there is this example, which
has been added in (relatively) recent times:

A. B. Smith, Table of n, a(n) for n=1..12000 [Terms 1 through 500 were
computed by J. Riordan; terms 501 to 1000 by P. D. James, Jul 01 2001;
and terms 1001 to 12000 by A. B. Smath, Aug 17 2015]

To be honest I found this format a bit redundant, especially if there is
more than one "extension". Indeed, I think that in that case someone
(memory fails me) suggested to transfer part of the information in the
Extension field.

Personally I do not think that the dates are necessary. They can be
found (if needed) in the history of the sequence.

My favorite format, which I used thanks to my ignorance of the
suggestion in https://oeis.org/SubmitB.html and that you can probably
find in a hundred of sequences or so is the following:

Donovan Johnson and Giovanni Resta, Table of n, a(n) for n = 1..1000
(first 53 terms from Donovan Johnson)

or similarly:

T. D. Noe and Giovanni Resta, Table of n, a(n) for n = 1..10135 (terms <
10^13, first 4804 terms from T. D. Noe)

By the way, this is just my very personal opinion, not the official line
of OEIS.

Giovanni