[seqfan] Re: Periodicity of seqs mod m - research idea

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Sun Feb 19 09:20:54 CET 2017

A word of warning:
the discussion about cycle finding does not address one fundamental problem.
With a (linear, homogeneous, constant coefficient) recurrence of order r
we do know that if r successive terms agree then we found a period
(see the code in https://oeis.org/A271953 ).

IIRC we do not even have to worry about a pre-periodic segment.

With A214551 (not: A215551 as said below) things seem to be much more
involved.  Could it not be that if we do observe some cycle mod m (for
some m), say, twice in a row, it does not repeat further up?

Looking at A214551 mod 2 strongly suggests that!

Best regards,   jj

* Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> [Feb 19. 2017 08:50]: