[seqfan] Re: A195264

Hans Havermann gladhobo at bell.net
Tue Jun 6 04:56:17 CEST 2017

> That's pretty amazing!  Where can one read more about James Davis's work?

He contacted me yesterday by way of a comment underneath my October 2014 blog on 'Climb to a Prime':

http://gladhoboexpress.blogspot.ca/2014/10/climb-to-prime.html

In a subsequent email he confided:

"I'm not a mathematician by any stretch - the search that happened to work was hoping n = x*p=f(x)*10^y+p, where p is the largest prime factor of n. That requires that f(x)/(x-1) terminate and it's decimal expansion be a prime (p). That motivates looking for x of the form x=m*10^y+1 and hoping some common factors cancel between f(x) and (x-1). Turned out to be enough: m=1407 fell out immediately."