[seqfan] Re: Iterating some number-theoretic functions

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 21:28:50 CEST 2017

Concerning iterating the map k->(phi(n)+sigma(n))/2, starting at n.

Thanks to Hugo, we can now say a bit more. There are several possibilities:
- if n is a square or twice a square, then we get a fraction after one step
and we die (A028982)
- we get a fraction after more than one step and we die (A290001)
- the trajectory never reaches a fraction (A289997). There are 3 subcases:
--- the trajectory reaches a prime (all primes are fixed points) - what are
these values of n?
--- the trajectory diverges (A291790, although proofs are lacking)
--- the trajectory goes into a nontrivial cycle (no examples are known)

The first trajectory that appears to be integral and unbounded is that of
270, see A291789. Perhaps if that were understood it would help
prove that all the terms of A291790 are correct (just as the trajectory of
45, A291787, for one of the other problems, has the recurrence a(n)=2*a(n-8)
and is therefore unbounded)

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com