[seqfan] Re: Can we create a workable taxonomy for classifying all the various kinds of sequences in the OEIS? - not manually

Frank Adams-watters franktaw at netscape.net
Sun Apr 8 21:26:18 CEST 2018

There are a lot of properties of sequences that could be
automatically recognized, except that they would almost
all be conjectures.* Most of those conjectures could be
verified fairly quickly, on an individual basis - but then you
aren't gaining anything much on doing them manually
in the first place. (We already have this problem with
the nonn/sign distinction, but that's well established and
so we only need to look at new  sequences.)

* One-way, anyhow. For things like monotonically
increasing, one could automatically recognize almost
all the sequences that do not have the property, with
no errors; but those that appear to be increasing
could only be conjectured.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters