[seqfan] Pythagorean triples of triangular numbers?

jonscho at hiwaay.net jonscho at hiwaay.net
Tue Aug 21 05:47:44 CEST 2018

Dear Sequence Fans:

During some recent editing of A213188, Andrew Howroyd added a comment
that there is only one known example of a Pythagorean triple
consisting of three triangular numbers: 8778^2 + 10296^2 = 13530^2
(i.e., T(132)^2 + T(143)^2 = T(164)^2).

I did a very simplistic brute force search and determined that there
aren't any other examples in which the hypotenuse is less than
2*10^10, and asked him if he knew how far the search had been taken.
He did a Google search for the numbers in the only known example and
found a few hits, one of which said that if there's another example,
its hypotenuse is > 17680431, but he commented that this seemed
absurdly weak.  He added, "Part of me thinks this ought to be a well
known unsolved problem, and because of the numerous constraints
someone would have found a smarter way to search using elliptic curves
etc so my guess is that you are not even close. (but don't give up!).
On the other hand, that paper that briefly mentioned this fact was
written in the 70's and the lack of google hits means perhaps it has
been overlooked (or there is no way to solve with elliptic curves)."

I asked whether this might be a question suitable for the Seqfan
mailing list, and Neil asked if one of us could submit it.

Does anyone know whether --

-- any other solutions have been found?

-- anyone has proved that there are no other solutions?

-- any lower bounds hugely larger than 2*10^10 for the hypotenuse (or
for the other sides) have been established for any possible solution
other than (8778, 10296, 13530)?

-- elliptic curves offer a smart way to search for solutions?

Thanks!

-- Jon