[seqfan] Re: Another characterization of A244031?

David Seal david.j.seal at gwynmop.com
Fri May 18 14:03:06 CEST 2018

Aren't the two definitions different for n=1?

* It meets the 'original definition' because there is no prime strictly between 1 and 2, so x^2 + y^2 does not represent any such prime.

* It does not meet the proposed rephrasing, because 1 + 1^2 is prime and 1 <= 1^2 <= 1.

As 1 is not in the sequence, I'd suggest that if the 'original definition' is the better one, it does need at least a slight modification to exclude 1, such as starting "Positive numbers n > 1 such that ...".

Regards,

David