[seqfan] Re: Forcing of exact searches?

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 07:10:34 CEST 2019

The OEIS used to be on punched cards, and Russ has always made it
possible for me (and a couple of other people) to download a copy of the
current OEIS
in punched-card format.   This is a flat ascii file. The file is called
cat25 (that name has not changed for 25 years, although the file has grown).

The current version (it is now a few weeks out of date) is:
 $ wc cat25
 5936314 53306288 408589671 cat25

That means it contains 5936314 (virtual) punched cards.  It is what you see
if the click on "internal format" for a sequence.

It is nice to have this file, because I can grep in it for any string I
want to see.
I can do an exact search for any string.
The one annoying thing is that names with accents (like Erd****s) have
been distorted in the file, so it is hard to grep for them. (That is why I
always try to
give both the nonascii name (Erd****s) and the ascii name (Erdos) in
sequence entries.)

Of course, if you don't have a unix system, you are out of luck!