[seqfan] Re: Riecaman

jens at voss-ahrensburg.de jens at voss-ahrensburg.de
Thu Aug 29 14:24:13 CEST 2019

Hello Hugo, Neil and others,

a few observations and results:

1. Perhaps the unexpected appearance of the 9 as the quotient limit
becomes a bit less mysterious when you consider ALL "local minima" (as
opposed to only those for which the trajectory value is even), in which
case the quotients seem to approach a limit of 3 - that looks a lot less
surprising!

2. Of course you can compute a trajectory even for starting values which
at some point reach zero - you just keep going the same way (two adds,
one subtract etc.) ad infinitum. It comes as no surprise that the
quotients of the local minima seem to approach 3 here as well.

3. To generalize the construction even further, we can distinguish
between adding and subtracting by forcing the trajectory to never fall
below a fixed threshold (the original definition will then have a
threshold of 0). Again no surprises here, the local minima quotients
still converge to 3.

4. What surprises me a lot more is that the same behavior can be
observed in all the sequences suggested by Neil (with the exception of
round(sqrt(n)), i.e. A000194, for which the trajectories look
different): In all these cases the quotients seem to approach 3. So,
there seems to be something at work here that does not necessarily have
anything to do with primes!

Regards
Jens