[seqfan] Re: Riecaman

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Sat Aug 31 15:26:48 CEST 2019

Hi Jens,

I quite agree with your first point, as laid out in my followup to NJAS.

Re your 4th point: in general, between one minimum and the next, the
trajectory goes from some value k just after the first minimum, reducing
every two steps by the difference of the next pair of entries in the
co-sequence, until it reaches (nearly) zero.

If the co-sequence is regular enough, or random enough, then those
differences will be close to half of the total difference; and if the
minima are small enough relative to k, then this means we'll be using
co-sequence entries from about k to about 3k.

Try a co-sequence such as { k: k^2 == 1 (mod 3) }, and I expect you'll
see a different ratio.

Re the 3rd point: this will be essentially the same - instead of going
from 0 + k down to 0, we're going from T + k down to T.

Hugo

jens at voss-ahrensburg.de wrote:
:Hello Hugo, Neil and others,
:
:a few observations and results:
:
:1. Perhaps the unexpected appearance of the 9 as the quotient limit
:becomes a bit less mysterious when you consider ALL "local minima" (as
:opposed to only those for which the trajectory value is even), in which
:case the quotients seem to approach a limit of 3 - that looks a lot less
:surprising!
:
:2. Of course you can compute a trajectory even for starting values which
:at some point reach zero - you just keep going the same way (two adds,
:one subtract etc.) ad infinitum. It comes as no surprise that the
:quotients of the local minima seem to approach 3 here as well.
:
:3. To generalize the construction even further, we can distinguish
:between adding and subtracting by forcing the trajectory to never fall
:below a fixed threshold (the original definition will then have a
:threshold of 0). Again no surprises here, the local minima quotients
:still converge to 3.
:
:4. What surprises me a lot more is that the same behavior can be
:observed in all the sequences suggested by Neil (with the exception of
:round(sqrt(n)), i.e. A000194, for which the trajectories look
:different): In all these cases the quotients seem to approach 3. So,
:there seems to be something at work here that does not necessarily have
:anything to do with primes!
:
:Regards
:Jens