[seqfan] Re: A263484

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 21:39:52 CEST 2019

I am pretty sure the sequence name is garbled, though the Richard Stanley
paper makes it pretty clear what's going on. So in the hopes that a simple
English description will answer your question, here is one:

Suppose we are permuting the numbers from 1 through 5. For example,
consider the permutation (1,2,3,4,5) -> (3,1,2,5,4). Notice that there is
exactly one point where we can cut this permutation into two consecutive
pieces in such a way that no item is permuted from one piece to the other,
namely (3,1,2 | 5,4). This "cut" has the property that all the indices to
its left are less than all the indices to its right. There are no other
such cut-points: (3,1 | 2,5,4) doesn't work, for example, because 3 > 2.

Stanley defines the "connectivity set" as the set of positions at which you
can make such a cut. In this case, the connectivity set is {3}.

Is A263484, T(n,k) counts the number of permutations of n elements with k
cut points.

It looks to me like the name should have been "... the number of
permutations of n elements with n-k elements in its connectivity set.", not
"... with n!-k permutations ..."