[seqfan] Re: Naming advice

Peter Luschny peter.luschny at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 19:26:11 CET 2019

> RI>  I think clarity is better than catchiness, and I don't agree that "we
> don't
> RI>  like to see sequence numbers in the names of other sequences". There
> are
> RI>  lots of sequences with sequence numbers in their names.
> RI>  My suggestion would be
> RI>        a(n) is the unique k such that A108951(k) = n!.

I very much agree with this. Let's write

a(n) = ℩k (A108951(k) = n!)

℩ is the iota operator (the Unicode Character 'turned greek small letter
iota' (U+2129). [see https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2100.pdf ]

I love this notation ever since I read Principia Mathematica. But
probably too much of a hope in an ASCII destroyed world.

Cheers, Peter