[seqfan] Re: Naming advice

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 19:48:55 CET 2019

I could have sworn that I had seen some fairly-authoritative guidance that
deprecated the use of sequence cross-references in names and brief
descriptions. If this memory is mistaken, then Robert Israel's
straightforward suggestion is appealing.

Peter Luschny's notational variant is attractive in a formalistic way, but
has the disadvantage of introducing a new formalism that a lot of users are
unlikely to know.

Marc LeBrun's suggestion has some of the flavor I was looking for in a
crossreferenceless name, but drops the useful information that the
reconstruction is not simply "a" factorial, but is in fact the factorial of
the sequence index.