[seqfan] Re: Interesting discovery by Dan Preston concerning a Recaman-like sequence

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 16:25:00 CET 2019

I don't know anything about what algorithms people are using here. Are we
using ordinary bit-vectors, with each bit keeping track of whether the
sequence has hit a particular number? If so, it seems to me (just from
hand-simulation) that run-length encoding would save several orders of
magnitude on space, and probably only cost one order of magnitude in time
(storing the RLE structure as a balanced tree).