[seqfan] Re: Maple program

Brendan McKay Brendan.McKay at anu.edu.au
Sun Oct 25 14:11:06 CET 2020

This raises a question that applies not only to Maple but other
languages:  which versions of the software should they work
with?  Is this stated in the instructions anywhere?  I can't find it.

Especially with costly packages like Maple and Mathematica,
many people keep running the same version for quite a few
years before upgrading.  I know several colleagues who are
still using Maple 2015 -- they can't run Peter's code because
the NumberTheory package was introduced in 2016.  (The
old package still works with current Maple, though.)  Even
for free packages, using brand new features will force people
to upgrade (or, more likely, not use the code given) and this
isn't nice or, usually, necessary.

So, is there a policy?  If not, should there be?

Incidentally, while poking around I found
https://oeis.org/wiki/Maple
which says "The latest version of Maple, as of January 2014,
is version 17."  The latest version is Maple 2020, but I
suggest removing the sentence altogether as it will soon
be out of date again.

Brendan.