[seqfan] Re: Anyone have a 3-D "Ulam" spiral?

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Wed Apr 28 22:06:50 CEST 2021

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 4:52 AM Jan Ritsema van Eck <
j.ritsemavaneck at planet.nl> wrote:

> If a double spiral is allowed, you can do without the diagonal step. The
> first branche goes to the top face, the second one to the bottom face, and
> then they spiral towards each other in the way described by Kevin. They
> meet in the middle, at the centres of two opposing side faces. They move
> out one step and fill the next shell in similar fashion, continuing the
> same movement and "spiralling in" to the centres of the top and bottom
> faces.

Exactly, I agree!
If I'm not wrong, this is exactly my variant(*)  of Hugo's proposal
(* in that z is scanned once from -R to R, then from +(R+1) to -(R+1), etc
--
actually very similar if not exactly how the x and y coordinates behave: in
(co)sine waves),

(PS: I write this also to apologize to those who worried about the data I
put at the end of my earlier mail - it was indeed incorrect:
The points of the circles were (obviously !) not in the "increasing phi"
order, because I have done one simplification too much to my
comparison function in the version I sent without double-checking
the result once again... I put the correct code in Hugo's sequence, up to
the detail that there is no "dir(ection)" switch to flip up/down every
other shell.)

I think we should add these two spirals (maybe as list of triples : (x0,
y0, z0; x1, y1, z2; ...) ?),
(for the 2-norm and for the sup norm ; maybe also for the 1-norm ?) also to
OEIS,
and I will do that unless somebody already started the job.

- Maximilian

Jan