[seqfan] Re: Fwd: Re: Self avoiding polygons

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 01:19:34 CET 2021

Oh, John, that is devilish. It certainly defeats my attempted algorithm.
But it's obviously not a counterexample -- you can still build it using
your extension operation, but my algorithm fails to find a correct
construction procedure.

Intuitively it is still absolutely clear that your construction conjecture
is true, but I am flailing for a satisfactory proof. But here is a start:

The polygon has straight sides of integer length. Let's imagine that we are
circumnavigating it counterclockwise. A side that is between two left
turns, we shall call a *candidate*. To the left of each candidate is a
contiguous rectangle of cells, n units long and m units wide, with m chosen
as large as possible. Call m the *depth* of the candidate. The big lemma is
that there always exists a candidate of depth greater than 1. My intuition
is if there is no candidate with depth greater than 1, then we can prove
that the polygon is not simply-connected, violating the premise. But I
can't make it go through.