[seqfan] Re: The gerrymandering sequence A341578 needs better explanation

Jack Grahl jack.grahl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 11:55:49 CET 2021

I think the confusing part is the 'grid'. This has essentially nothing to
do with geometry.

Given n districts, each with n votes, what is the least number of total
votes which allows a party to win a majority of the districts?

The districts are winner-takes-all, and for an even number of districts,
it's enough to win half the districts, and tie in one further district.

So for 5 districts of 5 votes, one party could theoretically win with 3
votes in each of 3 districts, and 0 in all other districts. For 8
districts, 5 votes in each of 4 districts, and 4 votes in a fifth district
is enough.