[seqfan] Re: A sequence and a related array

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 06:53:04 CEST 2021

Dear Ali,

I should have added a few things about what you are looking into.

Your sequence ideas lead to cyclotomic polynomials, which are at least as
old as Gauss' first book.

Your example for n=7 is the factorization of  x^7-x : in that case you have
5 factors, of total degree 7
(so you don't really gain any simplicity for prime numbers)

x^7 - x = x (x-1) (x^5 + x^4 + x^3 + x^2 + x + 1)

This should lead you to A032741, which gives the number of terms of the
factorization.

A032741(5+1) = 3 so you will have 3+2 = 5 terms.

Then you can explore the links with finite fields, integer partitions and
binomial coefficients.

Regards,

Olivier