[seqfan] Re: A New Category of Sequences?

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 08:47:12 CEST 2021

On 7/23/21, Fred Lunnon <fred.lunnon at gmail.com> wrote:
>   A search for "Legendre conjecture" turns up a large number of recent
> claims
> to have proved it, and cursory sampling suggests that the expected quality
> is dismal.  Example: one advertised Ph. D. (subject unspecified) devotes a
> substantial proportion of their contribution to the rediscovery of the sieve
> of
> Eratosthenes (274--196 BC).  The tradition of seeking fame and fortune via
> a proof of Fermat's "last theorem" has apparently migrated in the direction
> of Landau's list of problems, after some spoilsport actually did so ...
>
>   But I feel obliged to issue a plea to anybody inspired to investigate
> such
> deceptively easily-stated classical problems.  Before you expend time and
> effort attempting to communicate the results of your research to the world,
> do take the trouble at least to establish what is already known about the
> matter, as well as what constitutes a rigorous mathematical proof.

Please note that the first poster (Jerry) didn't write anything about
any proof or an attempt of such, but only about adding some empirical
data about the topic. But of course for many open problems, such
empirical data from just a finite b-file range 1 .. 10^(4..5) might be
highly misleading, even though it could be interesting for other
reasons. And in any case, such sequences could comment on, or link to
the resources that show at which point an apparent trend in the data
holds no more.

Best regards,

Antti