[seqfan] Re: A New Category of Sequences?

Fred Lunnon fred.lunnon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 14:47:09 CEST 2021

  Agreed.  One of the most precious qualities of sites like  seqfan  which
still survive in quiet corners of the internet is that a genuine amateur
can raise a completely original question, attempt (however tentatively) to
answer it, in the process acquire new skills, make contact with experts
who may be able to suggest relevant existing tools, and --- just possibly
--- finally unearth a significant discovery.  I would hate to think that such
an explorer had been discouraged by anything I said.

  But, as my brief search emphasised, fools rush in where angels fear to
tread.  There are plenty of the former, and they can quickly submerge
in a tide of garbage anything worthwhile that an actual explorer had to say.
One danger sign is when the question has been well-known for centuries,
and can be parsed using only elementary and commonplace mathematics;
yet the enquirer makes no reference to existing sources.  Beware!

WFL