[seqfan] Re: SeqFan Digest, Vol 153, Issue 2

Jerry zhivago47 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 19:51:57 CEST 2021

Re: 2 Questions from a rank amateur newbie: thanks and follow up

Two preliminary notes: I apologize for the delayed response... I set myself
up on seqfan for what I thought was a daily digest, but it seems to have
created a weekly digest. After a few days of no digest, I switched to no
digest, but didn't receive my final digest until today, where my post and
the two responses were first visible to me, a week after I had posted.
Also, I'm not sure how best to respond to a digest. I simply did a reply to
the digest, and then deleted everything that I thought was not relevant to
my reply. If there's a better way to do it, please let me know.

So, first, thank you Hans and Sean! I appreciate the feedback. Hans, yes, I
do recognize that my proposed series is A014085/A005843. That is why I
mentioned those two sequences in my original post. It is also why I asked
if I should change my fractional sequence to offset 0, even though n=0
seems irrelevant to a sequence concerned with prime numbers. But it may
well be that since A014085 and A005843 have offset 0, it is more helpful to
make this new sequence offset 0 as well. I would appreciate feedback from
anyone on this point.

linked. My questions were on points that were still uncertain to me after I
had read them. Perhaps I should have understood more from the help files,
but I figured better to err on the side of safety.

As for my opinion on whether this proposed sequence has merit, I think it
does for the following reason: while it is true that A014085 covers the
same area as my sequence, it does not take into account the denominators of
my sequence. Thus it does not show, as n increases, how the frequency of
primes between squares decreases relative to the number of integers between
squares. For example, for n=5 (offset 0) the number of primes is 3, and the
fractional sequence is 3/8; but for n=20, the number of primes is 6, but
the fractional sequence is 3/19. So in this example, A014085 doubles from
n=5 to n=20, but the fractional sequence is more than halved. Thus it seems
to me that the fractional sequence provides very different information than
A014085 does.

I am acutely aware of my limited familiarity with OEIS and with my limited
knowledge of number theory compared with most everyone on this mail server.
So I would very much appreciate feedback on whether my proposed sequence
does indeed have merit to be included in OEIS or whether it would be a
waste of OEIS resources to include it. I will be happy to follow the
consensus opinion on this if there is one. Thank you to all who read this.

Jerry