[seqfan] Re: Is the set of numbers representable by sum of 5 positive cubes in exactly 3 ways finite?

Sean A. Irvine sairvin at gmail.com
Fri May 14 03:46:09 CEST 2021

Hi Allan,

I should have said before, for A343705, I have searched as far as 400^3
with no further solution.

It is precisely the fact that some of these related sequences were missing
from the OEIS that led us to start adding these, and yes there needs to be
an index at some point.  Some are very new (added today!)

https://oeis.org/A344035 Numbers that are the sum of five positive cubes in
exactly four ways.
https://oeis.org/A343988 Numbers that are the sum of four positive cubes in
exactly five ways.
https://oeis.org/A294737 Numbers that are the sum of five positive squares
in exactly three ways (known to be finite)
https://oeis.org/A344244 Numbers that are the sum of five fourth powers in
exactly three ways.
I can probably generate more terms for the first two above and do a graph
like you mention so see if they exhibit a similar pattern.

Hardy and Wright contains a number of results around sequences of these
general type and much appears to be known about the case of squares. I
thought I saw somewhere that every number can be written as a sum of at
most 9 cubes, but I cannot find the reference right now.

Sean.