[seqfan] Re: Is the set of numbers representable by sum of 5 positive cubes in exactly 3 ways finite?

D. S. McNeil dsm054 at gmail.com
Fri May 14 04:09:06 CEST 2021

If we weaken positive cubes to nonnegative cubes, Deshouillers, Hennecart,
and Landreau (2000) give numerical and heuristic evidence that all numbers
past 7373170279850 are representable as the sum of 4 nonnegative cubes.

So if they're right, then eventually we can just take some N and represent
each of (N-1^3, N-2^3, N-3^3, N-4^3) as the sum of four cubes and then take
1^3, 2^3, 3^3, 4^3 as our fifth cube, giving at least four 5-cube
representations for N.

So I'd bet a fair amount that the set of numbers representable by the sum
of 5 positive cubes in exactly three ways is indeed finite.

Doug