[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:18:05 CEST 2021

Another proof that a(7) = 3 (that is, a planar figure with 7 points
contains at most 3 squares, and there are figures realizing this
number):

First, note that two different squares cannot share three vertices.
If a 7-point figure contains (at least) 3 squares, then by simple
counting there is a pair of squares sharing two vertices.  There are
only two possibilties:
(1) they share an edge;
(2) an edge of one of them is a diagonal of the other.
None of these 6-point figures contain a third square.  Therefore, if
the 7-point figure contains other squares, they are formed from a 7th
point, and three points in the 6-point figure (and not all three
belonging to the same square of that figure, by the preliminary
remark).  The triples of points in these 6-point figures that are in
square-position are few: two (one up to symmetry) in case (1), and
three (two up to symmetry) in case (2).  They lead to the two 7-point
3-square configurations (since one of the cases in (2) yields the same
figure as the one from (1)).  None of these two figures contain a
fourth square.

Benoît