[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 17:18:16 CEST 2021

Update on A051602

The original definition allowed the points to be anywhere, and the sequence
gave 16 terms of  which only the first 6 (which were trivial) were known to
be correct.  So I changed the definition to require the points to be grid
points. Now there seems a much better chance of getting 16 terms exactly.

However, there is still some uncertainty, because Sean's program only
searches in a bounded portion of the grid. I don't know the details, but
now surely we can get more than 6 or 7 exact terms.

In the comments in A051602 I use b(n) for the unrestricted case, (that is,
the original definition), and I will add the two proofs from hv and Benoit
that b(7) = 3 there.

Best regards
Neil

Neil J. A. Sloane, Chairman, OEIS Foundation.
Email: njasloane at gmail.com