[seqfan] Re: How many squares can you make from n points in the plane?

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 22:40:02 CEST 2021

One can also prove that a(n), b(n) = Theta(n^2).

For the upper bound: given n >= 2 points in the plane, you can form no
more than 3*choose(n, 2) - 2 = (3/2)n(n-1) - 2 squares on them: choose
two points and decide that they are either a diagonal or an edge of
the square (with the square lying on either side in the second case,
hence the factor 3).  Also, note that if you chose a pair of points
realizing the diameter of the figure, then the squares having this
pair as diagonal are too large to be in the figure, hence the "minus
2".

For the lower bound: if n = m^2, consider the figure formed by all the
points in [0,m-1]^2.  To count the squares it contains, note that by
choosing a in [0, m-2] and b in [1, m-1], the square with edge [(a,
0), (0, b)] has other vertices (b, a+b) and (a, a+b).  Therefore,
there are (m - (a+b))^2 translates of this square in our figure.
Therefore, the total number of squares is
S = \sum_{a=0}^(m-2) \sum_{b=1}^(m-1) (m-(a+b))^2
  = \sum_{a=0}^(m-2) \sum_{b=1}^(m-1-a) (m-(a+b))^2
  = \sum_{a=0}^(m-2) \sum_{k=a+1}^(m-1) (m-k)^2  [change of variables
  = \sum_{k=1}^(m-1) \sum_{a=0}^(k-1) (m-k)^2
  = \sum_{k=1}^(m-1) k(m-k)^2
  = (1/12) m^2*(m^2 - 1)  [expand; use sums of first (m-1) integers,
squares, cubes; refactor]

Therefore, when n is a square, a(n) = (1/12)n(n-1).

Now, since a(n) is non-decreasing and square gaps are of order n =
o(n^2), the result follows.

Benoît