[seqfan] Re: Probable mistake in A013582 (number of states in Connect-4).

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 23:49:02 CET 2022

The entry A013582 <https://oeis.org/A013582> has an ambiguity; it doesn't
say whether it is including positions that contain (a) *no* winning rows of
four (that is, only positions that have not yet been won), (b) *at most one
*row of four (that is, including some winning positions), (c) *any number *of
rows of four *as long as they are the same color and intersect in a single
cell that is at the top of its column *(that is, including all winning
positions), or (d) *with any number* of rows of four, unrestricted (that
is, including all positions that can be achieved simply by dropping in red
and blue chips alternately, ignoring winning conditions).

These four sequences would definitely be different, and all of
approximately equal interest; perhaps the entry should clarify exactly what
is being counted.