[seqfan] Sliding numbers A103182

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 18:52:16 CET 2022

Dear Seq Fans,  Eric Angelini submitted A103182 in 2005. The definition was

Sliding numbers: numbers n of the form n = r+s where 1/r + 1/s = (r+s)/10^k
for some k >= 1.

with these examples:

1/4 + 1/25 = 0.29 --> 29 is a "sliding number"

1/8 + 1/125 = 0.133 --> 133 is a "sliding number"

1/2 + 1/5 = 0.7 --> 7 is a "sliding number"

Today the definition is:

a(n) occurs t times where t is the number values m can take to write k as
(r + s) where 1/r + 1/s = (r + s)/10^m.

(and there is no mention of "sliding number")  It seems to me that the
original definition was far better.  The reason I'm posting this to the Seq
Fans List is that a large number of editors were involved in this name
change (see the History tab).  So I feel I should not simply change the
definition back to what it was.

But the present definition is pretty awful, even if "number values" is
changed to "number of values".

I propose to restore the original definition, unless someone has a better
suggestion!

Best regards
Neil

Neil J. A. Sloane, Chairman, OEIS Foundation.
Also Visiting Scientist, Math. Dept., Rutgers University,
Email: njasloane at gmail.com