[seqfan] Re: Sequence from ChatGPT

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Sun Apr 2 22:41:12 CEST 2023

>=israel at math.ubc.ca
> Asking for an explanation or a proof is likely to return plausible-sounding nonsense.

This has been my experience too.  This morning I tried to coax it into developing an elementary identity without giving it obvious search keywords (like "Legendre") to latch onto.  While it saw through my attempted  camouflage and figured out that the topic of discussion was partitions, even with very targeted hinting (like reminding it that sets don't have repeated elements, that zero was not a positive integer, etc) it only seemed able to produce "proof-shaped" snippets of gibberish.

As a friend put it, "it's like having an eager over-confident intern who will lie to make you happy".

I don't think it's quite ready to be an OEIS contributor.  At least this iteration...