[seqfan] Re: Sequence from ChatGPT

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Mon Apr 3 14:27:34 CEST 2023

On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 4:04 PM <israel at math.ubc.ca> wrote:

> As for looking up something, ChatGPT appears to know about
> SuperSeeker.
> Response: ******************* To check if the Online Encyclopedia of
> Integer Sequences (OEIS) contains a sequence containing both 3633 and
> 3598745, we can use the "superseeker" feature on the OEIS website.
>

> Using the superseeker, we can search for sequences that contain both 3633
> and 3598745 in their list of terms.

> As we can see, there is only one sequence in the OEIS that contains both
> 3633 and 3598745 in its list of terms, and that sequence is A262132.
> ****************************
> Which sounds great until you check that A262132 is not that at all, and
> does
> not contain either 3633 or 3598745.

Which shows that "ChatGPT knows" means that it just reproduces what it has
"read"
without understanding anything, or even being able to "use" this
"knowledge" otherwise than by making new phrases from it.
(Although it might be within reach of the technology to make an
auto-curated knowledge base (with semantics) of what can be found on
internet (attaching probabilities or "confidence levels" on the
"data"(relations) depending among others on the source and an possible
"proofs" from other, related "data")
-- which is not what ChatGPT does, however).

- Maximilian