[seqfan] Re: Tiling binary numbers = A125121?

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Sat Apr 15 18:07:35 CEST 2023

Yes of course, sorry for not mentioning the negative powers,
my main focus was to be sure about the basic concept.
The formulation in terms of disjoint union of translated sets seems the
most natural and elegant,
and the preprint David pointed to probably contains lots of nontrivial
results.

Then the "tiling binary numbers" are the sums of powers of 2 of the
elements of such sets,
and the odd integers of that form, which Alan considered, correspond to the
"canonical representative" of these sets, translated such that min S = 0.

I reckon that this should start, in binary:
1, 11, 101, 111, 1001, 1111, 10001, 10101, ...
In particular, all integers of the form 2^n +- 1 are in that set, and also
all those of the form 1(01){n} and 11(0011){n}, etc.
i.e., 1{k}(0{k}1{k}){n} in regex syntax.
We might call nontrivial the tiling numbers which are not of such a simple
form.
Probably I have overseen a slightly more general simple periodic pattern
that could be included among the "trivial" solutions...
Oh yes, we might consider "trivial" all those for which a finite disjoint
union of translates yields a number of the form 2^n-1, corresponding to a
set S={0...n-1}.
100011 would then be a nontrivial solution. But it can be obtained by
"rotating" 111000 two places to the left. Obviously the first rotation,
110001, would also work.
 Maybe all these should be considered trivial, too?

-M.