[seqfan] Re: Large English integer names: Mathematica vs. num2words

hv at crypt.org hv at crypt.org
Tue Apr 25 03:05:11 CEST 2023

I think words are more the expertise of dictionaries than of either
Mathematica or Python.

There is useful information at [1] including a list of which dictionaries
include each of the primary names, and an explanation of Conway and Guy's
extended naming scheme; there is additional historical information at [2].

Hugo

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Hans Havermann <gladhobo at bell.net> wrote:
:Michael Branicky and I have just been discussing this because I had found some issues in one of his OEIS b-files. He had used the Python script "num2words" and when I compared the Mathematica vs. the num2words 10^3n names, I found 22 discrepancies up to 10^303. Here they are (power of ten, first word is Mathematica, second is num2words):
:
:54, septendecillion, septdecillion
:84, septenvigintillion, septvigintillion
:102, trestrigintillion, tretrigintillion
:114, septrigintillion, septtrigintillion
:132, tresquadragintillion, trequadragintillion
:144, septenquadragintillion, septquadragintillion
:162, tresquinquagintillion, trequinquagintillion
:174, septenquinquagintillion, septquinquagintillion
:201, sesexagintillion, sexsexagintillion
:204, septensexagintillion, septsexagintillion
:231, seseptuagintillion, sexseptuagintillion
:234, septenseptuagintillion, septseptuagintillion
:252, tresoctogintillion, treoctogintillion
:258, quintoctogintillion, quinoctogintillion
:264, septenoctogintillion, septoctogintillion
:267, octoctogintillion, octooctogintillion
:270, novoctogintillion, novemoctogintillion
:276, unonagintillion, unnonagintillion
:288, quinonagintillion, quinnonagintillion
:291, senonagintillion, sexnonagintillion
:294, septenonagintillion, septnonagintillion
:300, novenonagintillion, novemnonagintillion
:
:Of course I'm going with the Mathematica versions as being the correct ones. Maybe Python users can request a fix.
:
:--
:Seqfan Mailing list - http://list.seqfan.eu/