[seqfan] Re: Large English integer names: Mathematica vs. num2words

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 04:32:36 CEST 2023

There are ambiguities in the Conway-Guy system; the most obvious one is
"trecentillion", which could be interpreted as either the 103rd zillion, or
the 300th. The system tries to observe Latin liaison rules, and hence
prescribes "sedecillion" instead of "sexdecillion". Other large-number-name
users have been much more casual, just gluing together the Latin components
without an overly picky regard for Latin word-formation rules.

But I have to reemphasize: all the "authorities" -- ALL of them -- are just
making stuff up and hoping it will become consensus. That's what Conway and
Guy did; that's what several others have done. And the dictionaries can't
do anything else besides codify usage, though I have some evidence that
American Heritage did engage in some of their own word-invention.