[seqfan] Re: Polycubes and canonical order of k-tuples of nonnegative integers

Pontus von Brömssen pontus.von.bromssen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 13:21:12 CEST 2023

That's great, John! If there's a choice already in use I'll definitely use
that. On top of that, it's the same ordering as OEIS recommends (A144625).
(Like I wrote, the choice between lex/colex doesn't matter for the binary
code, but I'll choose the nonreversed version.)

One more question: I also plan to submit a similar sequence for polyominoes
with no restriction on the dimension (those counted by A005519). To define
a code similar to the binary code under discussion here, we need an
ordering of sequences of nonnegative integers with a finite number of
nonzero terms. There's an obvious choice for that, namely to interpret the
sequences as prime exponents, mapping (x_1, x_2, ...) to the product of
prime(i)^x_i for i >= 1. Then we get a binary code for polyominoes in any
dimension by choosing the orientation that minimizes the sum of the powers
of 2 with exponents corresponding to the labels of the cells of the
polyomino. What would be a good name for this code? Prime binary code?
Binary prime code? Binary prime exponent code? Any better suggestions?

Thanks also to Marc LeBrun for good advice and kind words.

All the best,

Pontus