[seqfan] Alien Coding article

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 21:08:10 CET 2023

Dear Seq Fans, This article looks very interesting.  Maybe it could be
added to Superseeker?  I haven't had time to read it yet.

arXiv:2301.11479 Computer Science > Artificial Intelligence [Submitted on
27 Jan 2023] Alien Coding by Thibault Gauthier, Miroslav Olšák, Josef Urban

Abstract: We introduce a self-learning algorithm for synthesizing programs
for OEIS sequences. The algorithm starts from scratch initially generating
programs at random. Then it runs many iterations of a self-learning loop
that interleaves (i) training neural machine translation to learn the
correspondence between sequences and the programs discovered so far, and
(ii) proposing many new programs for each OEIS sequence by the trained
neural machine translator. The algorithm discovers on its own programs for
more than 78000 OEIS sequences, sometimes developing unusual programming
methods. We analyze its behavior and the invented programs in several
experiments.

Best regards
Neil

Neil J. A. Sloane, Chairman, OEIS Foundation.
Also Visiting Scientist, Math. Dept., Rutgers University,
Email: njasloane at gmail.com