[seqfan] Re: A187781 - Number of noncongruent polygonal regions in a regular n-gon with all diagonals drawn

Chris Scussel scussel at kwom.com
Mon Jun 12 02:40:23 CEST 2023

Brad,

While I was pretty confident of my results numerically, I was concerned
that there was some aspect of this that I had misunderstood. In addition
to verifying my result for a(12), you've also reassured me that I'm on the
right track. Once again, thanks!

Contributing to OEIS is new for me, but I've been studying the (abundant)
documentation and appears to be doable.

I was concerned about potential numerical problems, and was very
surprised to be able to get to n=60 with no hint of trouble. I stopped
(for now) at n=60 because each run took eight hours! A separate
program confirmed the congruences to 50 decimals.

For a(18) there are three accidentally congruent pairs, as well as triple.
I'm hoping that once the new values get into OEIS some clever person
will find a relationship between n and the accidental congruences.
It seems to depend on the factors of n, but it's not clear to me how.

I find it helpful and satisfying to look at figures such as you've generated.

Chris