[seqfan] Re: Ali Sada's A364054

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 20:48:20 CEST 2023

As with Recaman's sequence and all similar constructions, the entries
belong to well-defined "tiers". When you add N times the current modulus,
the tier number increases by N (with the obvious extension to negative
values of N.) Additional ideas for ancillary sequences include:

The tier numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 6, 5, 6, ...

The index of the first occurence of tier n: 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 23, 28, ...

The index of the *last* occurrence of tier n: 1, 2, 7, 8, 21, 36, 81, ...

The number of entries in tier n: 1, 2, 3, 3, 7, 13, 27, ...

The value of the last entry of tier n: 1, 3, 2, 19, 12, 13, 8, 21 ...

That last one is of especial interest because if 5 ever occurs, it will be
in this subsequence. Small entries can only appear close to the extinction
of a tier.