[seqfan] A question on sequence A174407

José Hdz. Stgo. 15620 at uagro.mx
Mon Apr 15 19:39:40 CEST 2024

Dear all,

Would any of you be so kind as to take a look at the COMMENTS section of
entry A174407?

For instance, according to this sequence's definition, the number of
primitive roots g (modulo 17) such that g^x = x (mod 17) for some integer x
is 7.

If I understand correctly, the first sentence in the COMMENTS implies that
a(7) should coincide with "the number of x with 0<x<17 and g^x = x (mod
17)".

I wrote a Mathematica program to output all of the x in (0, 17) such that
g^x = x (mod 17) for a primitive root g (modulo 17). I only obtained 6
(distintc) such x's whereas the entry is asserting the existence of 7 such
x's.

Would you be so kind as to take a look at this potential issue? Here you
can find the code of the aforementioned program:

p=17;
For[g = 1, g < p, g++,
If[MultiplicativeOrder[g, p] == p - 1, x = 1;
While[x < p,
If[Mod[g^x - x, p] == 0, Print[x, ",", g]; x = x + 1, x = x + 1]]]]

Please, let me thank you in advance for your attentive reply.

Best regards,

José Hdz. Stgo.