[seqfan] Re: A question on sequence A174407

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 21:13:48 CEST 2024

It would have helped a bit if you showed your output. I don't speak
Mathematica, but I found 7 without it.

3^5 = 5 (mod 17)
5^11 = 11 (mod 17)
6^2 = 2 (mod 17)
7^3 = 3 (mod 17)
10^4 = 4 (mod 17)
11^2 = 2 (mod 17)
12^7 = 7 (mod 17)

Here's a Python statement verifying the above:

assert all(pow(b, e, 17) == e
           for b, e in [(3, 5), (5, 11), (6, 2),
                        (7, 3), (10, 4), (11, 2),
                        (12, 7)])

The only primitive root of 17 that didn't have a fixed point was 14.