uned sequences A071339 - A071341

all at abouthugo.de all at abouthugo.de
Tue Jun 10 00:18:01 CEST 2003

Richard Guy <rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca> schrieb am 09.06.2003, 20:44:58:
> I agree with the recent reMarcs.    R.
>
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Marc LeBrun wrote:
>
> >  >=David Wasserman
> >  > I would suggest deleting these three, but first I'll ask if anyone
> > disagrees.
> >
> > Please allow me to very respectfully disagree, in the strongest possible terms.
> >
> > This issue arises periodically, in part as a natural consequence of the
> > workload the OEIS entails.  However it strongly bears not only on the
> > editorial burdens, but vitally on the ultimate long-term value of the OEIS.
> >
> > As editors we should strive to improve accuracy, completeness, coherence,
> > etc, but not drift into acting as gatekeepers, except where the utility of
> > the OEIS would clearly be adversely impacted by a submission.

[...]
> > In this particular case, while I'd be happy to see the FORTRAN code
> > sequestered off elsewhere under some link, all the submitted sequences look
> > reasonable, and I believe their inclusion would enrich the "core" sequence
> > A004018, as well as the OEIS as a whole.
> >
> > Alas this doesn't ease the editorial burden while furthering this wonderful
> > enterprise.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!

Dear Seqfans,

I just returned from a short weekend trip.
Yesterday evening I saw David Wassermann's proposal
and found his suggestions partially
reasonable. Deleting the sequences A071339-A071341
would be an option, implying also the deletion of
the similar 3d and 4d sequences A071342-A071347.
It would need some non-negligible editing work
in other sequences to include part of the deleted
information in another place.
One year ago I've put some work into their
computation, trying to understand the hit counts
of self-avoiding random walks plotted against
Euclidean (2d, 3d, 4d) distance, see e.g.
http://www.randomwalk.de/stw2d/dist25.pdf
http://www.randomwalk.de/stw4d/stw4d25s.pdf

(BTW: It were the first sequences
I submitted to the OEIS, so forgive me for my then
low position on the learning curve)
I have to admit that none of them
is rocket science, but even creating some simple
tools may sometimes be useful for other people
of for beginners in the field.
Of course the record sequences A071383-85, A071609-611
and the index sequences A75880 and
A076180 are more interesting, but without doing
the basics in A071339-347 I would probably never
have arrived at the ideas leading to the more
complex seqs.

The somewhat ugly Fortran program is already
available on one of my web pages - see
the link in my second message from yesterday evening.
There is a similar (also unreadable) Fortran program
in A071609, which is also available at
http://www.randomwalk.de/sequences/sphercnt.txt
I computes A071609,  A076180, A071611, A071610

Please give me a few days time and I will try do some
cleanup with the mentioned seqs (replace embedded
Fortran by links, update cross-refs and include
David Wasserman's comments)

If there are constructive proposals how to improve
things I am always willing to learn.

Thanks

Hugo