Rational Euler-Mascheroni Constant Query

Hans Havermann pxp at rogers.com
Mon Nov 29 01:42:13 CET 2004

Back in 1997, T. Papanikolaou calculated 1000000 decimal places of this
number and also showed that if the constant is rational, its
denominator has at least 242080 decimal digits.

I'm trying to understand where the 242080 comes from. If we convert the
million decimal places to continued fraction form (970031 terms) and
find the 970031st convergent of these terms, the denominator of the
resulting rational approximation has half a million digits, i.e.,
*half* of the decimal accuracy of the constant. Right?

So, why doesn't that show that the constant, if rational, has a
denominator > 10^500000?