A121760/1: two (interesting?) sequences

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Mon Aug 21 18:06:53 CEST 2006

No news is bad news is not a good assumption.  Posts here often get
ignored
for one or more of the following reasons:

* People find it uninteresting.  This may be because it really is
mathematically
uninteresting, or simply that nobody else in the relatively small pool
of seqfans
happens to be interested.

* People don't understand it.  The may be because it is so badly
written that
nobody wants to take the time to figure it out, or because it is
difficult and
none of the other seqfans is familiar with it.

* It happens at a bad time and people don't have time for it.

* People feel that it is complete as it is and have nothing to add.

You have to try to decide which one or more of these applies in a
particular
case.  The alternative - to have lots of people replying only to say
"I'm not
interested" - would be far worse.

------
People tend to be uninterested in "base" sequences because we are
interested in the numbers, not in how they happen to be written.  I
think there are relatively few who are totally uninterested in all
"base"
sequences, but there are a vast number of such sequences in the OEIS,
and most are really just about writing digits.

There are two other classes of similarly uninteresting sequences.  One
is the
sequences with the "word" keyword.  The other doesn't have a keyword;
this is the sequences which refer to real-world entities, from subway
stops
to fundamental constants.  However, neither of these has proliferated
the
way the "base" sequences have.

Another class of sequences, "primes of the form ...", are interesting
in some
cases.  These are mathematical.  However, this has been overdone in the
OEIS, perhaps even more than "base" sequences.  In my opionion, such
sequences should not be submitted unless there is some reason why one
would be interested in primes of that form.

----
For what it's worth, I did not find these two sequences interesting.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters