A121760/1: two (interesting?) sequences

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 18:38:45 CEST 2006

I am one of the guilty parties who's submitted many "base" sequences and
many "primes of the form..." sequences, as well as the even less popular
"semiprimes of the form..." sequences. Although some of my seqs have "real
math" in them, NONE of the 1251 seqs that turn up by a search on my name
have received the coveted "nice." Zak is a nice guy, but I think is making
the mistake of taking rejection personally.  As a professional author, I
stopped counting after I received 5000 rejection slips or rejection letters
from editors for poems, stories, plays, articles, and the like. Artistic
success and scientific success both correlate with plunging ahead undeterred
by indifference of colleagues. I trained myself to, when receiving a
rejection letter, saying to myself "okay, nothing personal, that editor on
that day was in a bad mood," and then submitting to another market within 24
hours.  Some of my "primes of the form..." seqs which are mildly disparaged
here have been greeted with email accolades from the editors of the "Prime
Curios" eb site. One of my short stories rejected as "too downbeat" by a
major magazine ended up getting more written recommendations for the Nebula
Award for Best Science Fiction Short Story one year than competing stories
by Isaac Asimov and Ray Bradbury.  Mathematicians should do Math because
they can't bear not to; writers write because they must; musicians play
music because they live or die by music. The feedback from colleagues is
always useful, whether positive or negative.  Finally, one never knows which
colleague from OEIS or other venue will become a collaborator, and coauthor
a deeper work that gets accepted at a refereed journal.  It's happened to
me, and one should never preclude that by grumbling in public. The greatest
assets of the OEIS, and the web in general, is their use as
collaborationware.  Mathematics has the headline-grabbing solitaries
("Million dollar Clay prize for solving the Poincare hypothesis? No, I'll
retreat the the russian forsts") but also the intensely networked
collaborators, from Erdos on down. Never give up, Zak.  But always enjoy
Mathematics and life itself.