a MUCH better photo of the icosahedron

Gerald McGarvey Gerald.McGarvey at comcast.net
Sun Dec 17 23:20:55 CET 2006

My take on this...

That they are at least read left to right is indicated by 1 being to the left
of the zero in the representation of 10.

Web searches show that nowadays for languages that use Arabic script,
including Arabic, Urdu, Farsi, etc., numbers are written left to right, in
fact
software for these languages needs to have bidirectional script support.

As to why they are written left to right, this document
http://www.dsv.su.se/~hercules/papers/FarsiSum.pdf
states 'Persian numbers have the same origin as the Latin numbers and
are written left to right.' According to this article they originated in India:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals
(there's probably more to it)

I think manuscripts might show signs of the numbers being written left to
right.
The writer would need to guess the amount of space needed, if they don't guess
correctly,  there could be a gap to the right of the number, or crunched up
numbers.
That would pretty much be physical proof that numbers are written left to
right.

More examples...
Persian (Farsi) numbers 0-10:
http://www.omniglot.com/images/writing/persian_num.gif