a MUCH better photo of the icosahedron

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 00:58:10 CET 2006

There may still be some seqfans who have not read the wonderful quotation
from Fibonacci in

Post, Jonathan Vos <http://mathworld.wolfram.com/topics/Post.html>. "Arabic
Numeral." From *MathWorld* <http://mathworld.wolfram.com/>--A Wolfram Web
Resource,
created by Eric W. Weisstein<http://mathworld.wolfram.com/about/author.html>.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ArabicNumeral.html
I've recently written the first 15,000 words of a story called "Fibonacci:
Superspy" and had just finished a chapter featuring a naval battle between
galleys aginst King Roger II of Sicily.  I'd been at a restaurant with Dr.
Thomas McDonough, a student of Carl Sagan's, and a published novelist.  He
made a note when I I told him that the pirate flag "The Jolly Roger" is
named after that same King Roger. As an active member of the Skeptics'
Society, he condemns claims of precognition.  To our surprise, a couple of
days later the L.A. Times ran a book review of another spy novel set in 12th
century Italy, and featuring the same King Roger II of Sicily.  I'd started
writing after, in a dream, I remembered that Fibonacci had dedicated his
first book to Michael Scott.  "The Wizard Michael Scott" in folklore, Dante,
and Sir Walter Scott's writings, who was (bringing this ramble back to the
origin) at the court of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II -- as the official
Astrologer.

Now, I've got to have a golden icosahedron in the story...