request for advice

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:59:43 CET 2006

Hello,

Let's remember that the goal is to reduce the amount of time
spent by Neil on the edition of the OEIS. Even
a correct or interesting sequence can require some work.

What I had to say has already been expressed among others
by Marc Lebrun and David Wilson.

A few further comments:
 - each time a bunch of very basic sequences with parameters seemed required
for completeness (and notably for the effectiveness of superseeker), Neil
produced them or asked someone  to do so.  I believe he will be glad that
others suggest missing families.

 - as the 5 sequences requirement has never been strictly enforced for
seqfan
membership, I hope this has not been and will not be an incentive to spam
Neil.

 - instead of a direct pipe to /dev/null, one can also send an automated
email response of the kind "Sorry but further mail from you will not be
considered until January 2018. Regards." This can be infuriating but
also relieving for the spammer.

- if we take the long view, and considering the large number of different
contributors
to the OEIS, making a few correspondants ponder the interest of their mails
for some
time is clearly beneficial. If they are genuinely interested in sequences,
they will
continue explore this world and come back to you. If they just wanted to
race
for the longest list of submitted sequences, they will find another sandbox
to play.

 - I would advise against any discrimination or screening based on
affiliation, age or
professional status.

 - As someone already pointed out, any journal or media can tell an author:
"Your story or article has already been published in this very journal by
yourself
and you did not add any new twist or turns.
We are not interested in a rerun." This is a standard and legitimate reason
for
rejection in most research journals. This is not a matter of censorship.
Quite the
reverse in fact with electronic media, where the back issues are easily
accessible
(at least for free websites such as the OEIS) and where almost anyone has
freedom
of press (i.e. can make a few web pages for the world to see).

 - The institution of the "Editors" has for the time being not been used as
much
as it could be.  Would the editors accept to receive automatically every
sequence
or comment submitted with a few distinct keywords or a batch of ten every
day,
etc. or any dispatching mechanism of the kind ?  This is certainly a
discussion
to be conducted among the current OEIS Editors.

Olivier

(Admin note: unless you are sure the people concerned are not on seqfan, you
don't need
to put them in copy)