New & old LEGO seqs; production cuts

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 21:54:44 CET 2006

Dear Soren,

Thank you for a clear and thoughful answer.

My son (in the room with me now) agrees that baby/childhood play with Duplo
and Lego guided him towards his Math/Computer Science expertise today.

He and I agree, however, that it's a shame that the manufacturer doesn't
make 4-D Lego blocks, or, more properly, the ones that they do make are of
extension along the t-axis only in the trivial way, and cannot be freely
rotated in Minkowski space.

So, I wonder, how well does your approach to counting under symmetry work if
extended to an additional spacial dimension?

I suppose that we can consider an AxBxC 4-D Lego to be actually an AxBxCx1
Lego in Z^4. I think that adjacency is well-defined, all rotations are about
planes, and there is a relationship to 4-D analogues of polyominoes, i.e. to
polyhypercubes.

Best,

Jonathan Vos Post