Counting n-gons

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 19:12:20 CEST 2006

I'm impressed by Richard Mathar's exposition.  Dr. George Hockney should be
flattered that he's been corrected by Richard Guy! I should be dubious about
anything asserted to me by a baseball fan during a World Series game.

I've also played with self-avoiding walks, and wonder how Richard Mathar's
approach works for polygons embedded in the 3-D integer lattice, some
results of which are known in Knot Theory, both for short walks and for
sufficiently long walks.  For example, almost all self-avoiding walks in the
3-D integer lattice which start and end at (0, 0, 0) are knotted. Of course,
polygons embedded in the 4-D integer lattice cannot be knotted.

-- Jonathan Vos Post