Counting n-gons

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 08:32:44 CEST 2006

Some references that I should give for knotted 3-D self-avoiding walks,
meaning polygons embedded in Z^3, the 3-D integer lattice. Have any of these
been in OEIS?

(1) G. Buck, Four-thirds Power Law for Knots and Links, Nature, 392 (1998),
pp. 238-239.
www.anselm.edu/academic/mathematics/Bucknature4-3F.pdf

(2) ....to hold in cases where restrictions are placed on the number of
edges per branch in a graph embedding. *Key* words. knots, graph embeddings,
branched polymer, simple cubic lattice. *AMS*(MOS) subject classifications.
82B41,57M25,05C10,05C80,05C30. 1. *Introduction*. * In 1988 Sumners and
Whittington [1] investigated questions about knottedness of a closed curve
of given length embedded in the three dimensional integer lattice, Z 3
.*They and, independently, Pippenger [2] showed that sufficiently long
closed
curves embedded in Z 3 are almost surely knotted. *Soteros*, Sumners and
Whittington ....

....than for Z 3 or the slab geometries. The second question posed above is
addressed here by studying the probability that an embedding of a simple
closed curve, i.e. a self avoiding polygon, confined to a particular
latticesubset is knotted.
* This probability has been studied previously in [1,4] and the results from
these works are reviewed here.* It is shown that the probability is
dependent on the lattice subset. The knottedness of embeddings of graphs in
Z 3 has been previously investigated in [3,5] and the results from these
works are reviewed and generalized further here.....

D.W. Sumners and S.G. Whittington, *Knots in self-avoiding walks*, J.
Physics A: Math. Gen., 21 (1988), pp. 1689--1694. KNOTS IN GRAPHS IN SUBSETS
OF Z 3 33